The United States Society on Dams (USSD) is a national non-profit organization that aims to advance the knowledge, understanding and practice of dam engineering in the United States. It was established in 1984, it is an independent and self-governing organization that is dedicated to promoting the safe and sustainable design, construction, operation and maintenance of dams and associated structures.
The USSD is an affiliate of the International Commission on Large Dams (ICOLD), which is the leading international organization in the field of dam engineering. The USSD is composed of members who are professionals in the fields of dam engineering, construction, consulting, operation, maintenance, research, regulation, and related fields.
The organization's activities include:
- Holds regular conferences, seminars, and workshops on dam-related topics
- Publish technical papers and guidelines for dam design, construction and operation
- Offers professional development and continuing education opportunities for members
- Provide a forum for the exchange of information, ideas, and experiences among members
- Represent the interests of US dam owners and operators at national and international levels
- Promotes the advancement of dam safety and environmental protection.
It is open to any individual or organization with an interest in dam engineering and its related activities, and membership is open to individuals, corporations, and government agencies.